Thursday, January 8, 2009

survey

i've been contemplating making an online monthly online herbal activity book for kids. it would be very family friendly and have several activities, including recipes, crafts, coloring pages, monthly journal, stories, songs, poems and herbal lore.

i'm wondering though if it should be all inclusive to herbs or if a smathering of all things fairies, gnomes and other magical wonders thrown in would be a welcome addition?

basically, it would be an online pdf that people could print and put in a binder to do each month and possibly have further activities, recommended stories, books, maybe some online links.

i prefer to keep it in pdf format to keep costs down but i am pondering offering a hardcopy too. the nice thing about pdf's is that if someone has several kids, they have the option of printing a copy for each kid to enjoy.

ETA: pdf's would cost around $6, hardcopies most likely around $10 including shipping.

so, i need some feedback. what say you, my viewing audience...if you were to want a monthly activity book (pretend you do!) would you:

want it to be herbally inclusive or include other magical creatures as well?

want it in pdf form or in hardcopy form?

10 comments:

Brad Carter said...

If it's for kids, you've got to include the magical creatures just to keep their interest in it.

It's me said...

At what price? That'll spell the difference bewteen pdf and hardcopy, I would suppose. What are you thinkin?

And magical creatures are always good I suppose... 'cause at least gnomes can be boy-ish. Fairies, um usually not so much. :)

Anonymous said...

I can think of audiences for both... I have some super orthodox friends who homeschool and would love the herb info but wouldn't embrace the magical creature stuff so much...

Either way, I'm on board to buy a set or two.

Phoebe said...

I'd go with online only, and offer one version with fairies and one without.

I'm always happier when I can opt out of spiritual or religious teachings when I buy Protestant homeschool stuffs.

Mist said...

I don't think the magical creatures are a necessary addition, but I personally would love it. Oh, and my kids would too. ;) Starting it as an online PDF is probably the smart move, and then you can move to the hardcopy if there seems to be interest.

Anonymous said...

Although I'd love to have an herbal course for kids my husband would nix the idea if there are fairies involved. I could overlook those things but dh is more black and white. :)

Lisa Zahn said...

The other commenters make some valid points, but oh I love the magical creatures! What is life without magic? Fairies and gnomes are just a way we humans can relate (anthromorphize--did I get that word right?) to the spirit of the plants.

Actually, I had to "rediscover" that when I started studying herbs. The magic/sprit of the plants is a big part of my attraction to them...

But that might be just me...

mamakopp said...

All sounds good to me. Why not herbs and magical creatures!

Anonymous said...

i love fairies & magical creatures but would rather have a course without them. it is like inculding a religious viewpoint. there are so many versions of fairies & gnomes, which would i choose? would i present it as fact or fairytale? so while i wouldnt be offended, i would be uncomfortable sharing it with my kids.

otherwise i would love an herb course and would jump at the chance to buy it from you.

Anonymous said...

I'd love to see a course including magical creatures and as we're overseas, pdf version would be ideal- good luck with however you progress!

Do let us know!

Related Posts with Thumbnails